Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Exclusively Breastfeeding

On Sunday, the 3rd of March, I began exclusively feeding Finnegan at the breast. Pumping out. Bottles out.

     Today will be the fourth day that we've been EBF. I was really nervous about switching over to exclusively breastfeeding because I had been pumping just enough every day to feed him. What if he wouldn't be getting enough? What if I was starving my baby?

     I am happy to say that my insecurities and worries have been lifted. Our LC came by this morning to weigh Finn, just to be sure that he was gaining well, and he has gained nearly a pound in the last 10 days! I am so relieved and excited! 

15 Weeks old


     I wasn't sure that breastfeeding was for me. I believed that I would be exclusively pumping for months and months to come. I feel so lucky to have a second chance to experience nursing my baby. It is an incredible and unique relationship that we share. I took it for granted in the beginning. I was tired and sad and my nipples were raw. Breastfeeding was a source of my anxiety in the first few weeks following Finn's birth. I don't feel like I was really able to bond with him until I quit breastfeeding and switched to formula. I am happy I stopped then, just as I am so grateful for this opportunity to reestablish that relationship that was lost.


1 comment:

  1. Did he have trouble latching on again after you supplemented with formula via bottle?

    ReplyDelete